Areley Kings W.I.
Meeting Monday 13 February 2017
The meeting opened with Jerusalem
President, Cyndy Firth thanked Katie Reid for standing in whilst she was away.
Members were reminded that it was important to sign the attendance register.
The Speaker, Mr Rob Hemming was introduced, his talk being ‘The Trouble with Trivia’.
Mr Hemming was an entertaining and amusing speaker. He clearly has a very competitive spirit. A member of Mensa, he has been on Mastermind twice and several other general knowledge and quiz orientated television and radio shows, but avoiding game shows. Cherry Greaves gave a sincere vote of thanks.
1. The annual luncheon, held at the Mercure Hotel was a success. Cherry Greaves won the £250 Denman Bursary.
2. The results of the voting for the selection of this years resolutions has been sent to Pat Jewkes our County Advisor. These were read out to the members as follows:
a) Alleviating loneliness - 5 votes
b) FGM: More awareness for more action - 4 votes
c) Equal access for all who need specialised maternal mental health services
d) Provision of appropriate welfare and safe spaces for women and children in refugee camps – 1 vote
e) Supporting women's refuges- 1 vote
f) Plastic Soup: Keep micro plastic fibres out of our oceans - 11 votes
Total: 31 votes
3. The coffee morning held at the home of Patsy Anderson, in aid of Denman College, raised £187.00
Remaining Bring and Buy items had been put out in the hall and Patsy urged members to buy, so that the total could come up to £200.
1. WFWI visit to Royal Hospital Chelsea Tuesday 2 May 2017 - £32 max 8 per WI Closing date 3 April 2017
2. Food Safety Course CIEH Level 2 WI House Sat 11 March 10-2pm £38 members and £40 non-members includes certificate. Closing date 23 Feb. 2017
3. Campaign & Resolutions Day Wed 5 April 1.30 -4.30 at Young Farmers Club, Shires Farm, Hawford, Worcester WR3 7SG (includes refreshments).
4. Learn how to Crochet a Crocodile stitch bag – Sat 29 April 2017 10.00 – 3pm WI House £18 members, £20 non members
5. Poetry Please with afternoon tea – Sat 6 May 2-4pm Wribbenhall Village Hall.
6. Learn the art of Swing Knitting – Thurs 18 May 2017 10-3pm at WI House
7. The Lucy Hingley Memorial Lecture 2017 Thursday 25 May 7pm – Macular Degeneration at the University of Worcester, Henwick Grove, Worcester, WR2 6AJ. Tickets £7 members, £8 non-members to include refreshments. Lecture begins at 7.30.
8. WI Fair 2017 Tickets now available £12.50 each or £11 for group of 10+ £14 on the door. 29 March – 1 April 2017 at Alexander Palace, London. Details in WI Life
9. Workshop and meeting dates to note for the forthcoming year. (Put on board).
10. WFWI Forest Group Meeting – Agenda. Note now includes full meal
11. Email from Pat Jewkes re Walking Netball.
12. NFWI Board of Trustees 2017 -2019. Ballot paper and Candidates’ details poster.
13. Message from Janice Langley regarding Our WI Our Future Questionnaire.
14. Note from Dawn Bradley Social Secretary Hartlebury WI asking if anyone would like to join them on any of their outings, notice on board.
Treasurer’s Report: - Nothing to report this month.
Forest Group Spring Meeting, hosted by Mitton WI will be held in Areley Kings Village Hall on 28 April. Speaker Eliza Botham from Stourport Forward Trust, Subject Canal Life Unlocked.
Faye produced a small decorative bucket to put on the table, and asked for suggestions for a ‘Bucket List’ i.e. Speakers or outings or activities.
Any Other Business
1. The Bursary Draw will be discussed in November at the AGM.
2. Members were asked if they would prefer to sing Jerusalem on special occasions only. After a vote of 15/13 against singing every month it was decided to offer the vote to members who were not present at the meeting.
3. Enquiries are continuing with St Johns Ambulance as to the viability and cost of a group First Aid Course.
4. Voting for Board of Trustees (National). The photos and WI CV’s of candidates was put on the notice board for members to vote.
5. The Denman Appeal has reached £231,121.75 to date.
6. A copy of our programme has been sent to WI House and has been much admired.
7. Friends of Kidderminster Hospital Shop in Stourport, has now closed. The lease is up on the property and it is in need of repair. Our WI has received a letter of thanks from the organisers, as we have been helping for 20 years.
Margaret Cook was thanked for organising the rota in recent years.
8. Ann Bailey, Skittles Captain, announced that the last of this seasons matches has been played against Bockleton WI which we won by 10 points. They were a friendly team and it was a pleasant evening. We have won 3 matches and lost 2. It is unlikely we will be called to the semi finals!
9. Faye has received an email from the steering committee of the Film Club which is restarting. Katie will be our representative.
10. Mollie’s curry lunch will be at the hall on Thursday 20th April 12.30 £10.
Delicious refreshments were served and the tea hostesses thanked:- Linda Lane, Mollie Long and Daphne Nealon.
The Raffle was drawn.
Pat Gale was thanked for the lovely plant she had brought for the top table, which went into the raffle.
Competition results: Words made from the letters in ‘Trouble with Trivia’
1st Cherry Greaves – 370 words
2nd Margaret Cook – 250 words
3rd Ann Bailey – 130 words
Patsy announced that the takings from the Bring and Buy Table at the meeting brought the total raised for Denman to £210.
Patsy thanked the members for being so generous and for helping at the coffee morning and making cakes and scones.
Next months meeting will commence at 7pm. Speaker Diane Brothwell – Sugarcraft
Competition: - A hand made Easter Bunny in any medium.