Areley Kings W.I.
Meeting Monday 10 April 2017
The President welcomed everyone to the meeting, which began with Jerusalem.
The Demonstrator for the evening was our member Katie Reid. Mr Don Fossey from the hall management team was on hand and had set up the new equipment so that Katie and her demonstration table were shown on the large screen behind her.
She had set up a wonderful display of her jewellery.
She is a guest designer on the TV shopping channel ‘Jewellery Maker’. The TV studio is in an old mansion, Ivy House near Redditch.
Katie had given out strings of beads of semi precious stones for us to try threading to make a bracelet. The stones included rose quartz, labradorite, lapis lazuli, amethyst, glass pearls and vegan pearls. There was much hilarity as the beads were bouncing everywhere due to the lack of dexterity on our part mostly.
Katie’s pieces on display were much admired and we all enjoyed the presentation.
Cyndy gave a sincere vote of thanks.
i. A list was sent round for members to enter emergency contact details.
ii. Money from the sale of the National raffle tickets to be returned to Paula Wood.
iii. A coordinator for the Annual Creative Activities Competition is still needed.
iv. Details of the Lady Denman Cup Competition were given out.
v. Bucket List Ideas.
· Back to Back houses in Birmingham. Our Secretary has been. It is very interesting but there are a lot of stairs to go up and down as there are 3 houses.
· Black Country Museum – Members thought this would be a tiring expedition.
· Witley Court Tour of underground cellars. Is on Sunday 16th July £6.
· Visit to Le Manoir Aux Quat’saisons restaurant near Oxford (Raymond Blanc). There was no interest at the meeting
1. WI Facebook and Twitter training
Saturday 20 May 10-2.30 or 1.3.30 £7 for 2 members
2. WI Gmail Account training
Saturday 24 June 10 -12.30 £7 for 2 members
3. WI Website Workshop
Saturday 8 July 10 – 12.30pm £7 for 2 members
4. Programme planning and Media Reports
Wed 14 June 9.45 3.15 £10 for 2 members
5. Trip to Salisbury Museum – Spoons – A Stirring Tale Exhibition
Thursday 27 July £22
8. Fascination of 21st Century Science Lecture
Thursday 20 July £7 members from 7pm
9. Worcestershire Riverside Town visit – Upton upon Severn
Thursday 13 and Tuesday 25 July 2017 7pm members only £10
10. WFWI Board of Trustees – October 2017 – October 2019 Nomination Form. - Cyndy
11. Worcestershire WI ART, Summer Art Days 2017
12. WI and IAM RoadSmart - Driving Days
13. Visit to National Gallary, London to see Female artists
Lesley reported that 2 bursaries have been paid in the last two months. One was outstanding from last year.
2016 had been a very expensive year for us, due to our 90th Birthday celebrations. As our birthday is in November the expenses occurred after the Treasurer had completed the annual balance sheet at the end of September. Therefore the expenses will show on this years account. We were urged to do some fundraising!
Several members were willing to receive the County Newsletter by email.
1. Mollie’s curry lunch, Thursday 20th April £10, several members to make desserts.
2. Lovells Vineyard, Malvern. Thursday 27th July leaving AKVH at 5pm. Cost approx. £21 to include supper.
3. Bluebell walk and lunch, Shrawley Thursday 4th May. Meet 11.30 at New Inn.
4. Laskett Gardens, (Sir. Roy Strong) Hereford, Thursday 15th June 11.45 AKVH, 1200 Lickhill.
5. Swan Theatre to see “Whistle Down the Wind” on Sat 5th August, £12
The meeting broke for delicious refreshments. The tea hostesses were Patsy Anderson, Pam Sheward and Chris Steadman.
Any Other Business
Margaret Cook gave a vote of thanks to Margaret Shaddock. She has run the Art Group since 1993 and sadly it is time to retire. It has been a rewarding experience for all who attended. They have made friends, exchanged ideas and learnt much more that just art techniques.
Hopefully the group will continue under the guidance of Chris Steadman. They all owe their enjoyment of art to Miss Shaddock and Katie said she was motivated to take her History of Art Degree by this class. Katie is working on her degree currently.
It was decided to hold a ‘Mock Auction’ at the May meeting as a fund raiser.
The monthly competition for an unusual piece of jewellery was won by:
Lyn Edwards Margaret Cook Ann Lakin
Pam Sheward was thanked for providing lovely table flowers.
Next months meeting, Monday 8th May 7.30pm
The meeting closed at 10pm.